Corona Coaster: an accurate description of how many of us are feeling. If you are feeling many highs and lows, you are not alone. I can feel sad, hopeful, anxious, and excited all at the same time. It can be exhausting. One day I feel very optimistic, and the next day, discouraged. The good news is: this is normal! Many people I talk to are feeling exactly the same way. So, know that you are not alone, and you are not crazy.
The human brain likes consistency and predictability. There are many unknowns about the virus, the way we are living, and how long this will go on. And our brains translate this uncertainty into feelings of anxiety and fear. We are hard-wired to feel safe when we connect to other people. Feeling lonely is extremely harmful to our mental, physical, and spiritual health. When we isolate, we naturally feel fear, as if our very survival is threatened. So, congratulations, you are human!
Strategies to Deal with the Corona Coaster:
- Connect: The most important connection is the one you have with yourself. As soon as you wake up in the morning, check-in, and see how you are feeling. Dig deeper than glad, sad, or mad. Are you feeling anxious, depressed, lonely, excited, optimistic, or energetic? It is important to identify and acknowledge whatever you are feeling. I truly believe that most of our unhappiness comes from refusing to accept what is. Continue to check-in with yourself throughout the day to see how you are doing. If you feel that this is self-indulgent, you really need to do this! If you are doing this, you are meditating.
- Meditate: Simply put, meditation is having a meeting with yourself. This is where you check in to see how you are doing. Even a few minutes a day is extremely helpful.
- Thankfulness: When you express gratitude for just being alive, you instantly go into a state of love and appreciation for everything that life gives you. You just can’t help it. And when you add health, family, friends, home, job, blue sky, and green trees to your list, your energy and joy grow exponentially. Heartfelt, specific gratitude is transforming.
- Express: Reach out to those you care about in a real, heartfelt way. Share your feelings with the people you feel safe with. Keep it real. Sometimes we sugarcoat our feelings because we don’t think they can handle it, or because we want to be positive and show up with a good attitude. Check-in with your peeps about how they are doing. Tell them what they mean to you. Thank them for being there for you. This simple act of sharing yourself will deepen your connections, give you comfort, and strengthen your relationships, and your ability to deal with life in the future.
- Exercise: The human body is meant for motion. All these joints need to move. And when we move, we generate a tremendous amount of energy which powers our brain to make some very important chemicals. Proper spinal motion alone generates most of the energy used by the brain to produce serotonin, dopamine, oxytocin, and endorphins. And these chemicals have an overwhelmingly positive effect on our mood, our outlook on life, and our immune system.
- Your nervous system: Your nervous system controls every single function in your body. This includes every gland, organ, and cell, including your immune system. This is why it is so important to have your spine checked regularly by a chiropractor for optimal alignment. Optimal Spine = Optimal Health.
Who do you know that could benefit from chiropractic care? Mention this blog for your complimentary consultation and exam ($75 value!) to see if chiropractic can help you!* Call us today at 512-346-3536 or request an appointment here.
*Offer not valid for Medicare beneficiaries or Personal Injury Cases. Office hours by appointment only.