According to Dr. Jack Wolfson, cardiologist, everyone should have regular chiropractic care. He says it’s good for your health, your body and especially for your heart. Along with the heart-healthy Paleo diet, these are his most important tools in preventing heart disease.
The heart and blood vessels are connected to the central nervous system by millions of tiny connections. One major attachment is the vagus nerve (which comes from the brain) and the autonomic nervous system (which has input into the entire body). These nerves control heart rate and blood pressure, both essential factors for heart health. Since chiropractic care positively impacts these nerves, its benefits to the heart are tremendous.
6 Heart Health Benefits
There are six proven ways chiropractic care helps prevent or treat cardiovascular disease:
- Lowers blood pressure – studies show a significant improvement in blood pressure when chiropractors adjust the 1st vertebra, called the Atlas (1).
- Improves nerve function of the heart – this is called the autonomic tone, and it impacts the heart, lungs, gastrointestinal tract, kidneys, bladder, sex organs and just about every other part of the body (2).
- Decreases blood markers of inflammation – the more inflammation, the greater your risk of cardiovascular events (3).
- Improves heart rate variability – the more your heart rate bounces around, the longer you will live. Many patients with severe heart issues have problems in this area (4).
- Decreases chest pain – millions of hospital visits for chest pain can be avoided by referral or chiropractic care (5). A huge reason he refers patients to chiropractors is that chest pain is often musculoskeletal in nature. Most patients can be quickly assessed and once a doctor determines that the heart is not involved, curative therapy from a doctor of chiropractic is imperative. Patients do not need the “million-dollar workup”, they need an adjustment. Costochondritis, rib misalignment, or thoracic vertebrae subluxation are all causes of chest pain and shortness of breath that will respond to chiropractic care.
- Improves lung function – chiropractic care has been proven effective in patients with asthma and emphysema (6) and poor lung function has been linked to heart failure.
Other Health Benefits of Chiropractic Care
Good chiropractic care benefits much more than just your heart. You name the disease, chiropractic care has a role because the nervous system touches every cell in the body. The nerves travel from the brain through the spine and on to the rest of the body. If the bones of the spine are out of whack, symptoms, and disease to occur. If you have ever fallen out of bed, been in a car accident, or played sports, I assure you that your spine is misaligned. Dr. Wolf says that you should not even bother asking your medical doctor or orthopedic surgeon if chiropractic is right for you. Chiropractors are competition for those who recommend pills and procedures. You will get a biased opinion from most physicians. Instead, ask the millions of people who see chiropractors every day. Gentle safe chiropractic adjustments seem like a better approach that spinal surgery or short term fixes like epidural injections. Don’t you agree?
Who do you know that could benefit from chiropractic care? Mention this blog for your complimentary consultation and exam ($75 value!) to see if chiropractic can help you!* Call us today at 512-346-3536 or request an appointment here.
*Offer not valid for Medicare beneficiaries or Personal Injury Cases. Office hours by appointment only.
- J Hum Hypertens. 2007 May; 21(5): 347-52
- J Chiropr Med. 2008 Sep;7(3):86-93.
- J Chiropr Med. 2010 Sep;9(3):107-14
- J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2006 May;29(4):267-74.
- J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2012 Jan;35(1):7-17
- J Altern Complement Med. 2011 Sep;17(9):797-801.